Improving Spanish-Speaking Skills in Granada, Spain

Submitted by Corey Perkins on the 2019 winter session study abroad program in Granada, Spain sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures…

We just officially completed our first week of classes in Granada! It was great getting to spend a few days in Madrid and a day in Toledo to practice speaking before we headed to Granada to begin our classes because we aren’t supposed to speak any English! We are taking two courses – “Culture through Conversation,” and “Spain: Past and Present.” Both of our professors only let us speak Spanish which is tricky since we are still expanding our vocabulary and correcting our grammar, but it has already improved my speaking and writing in just the one week we’ve been in classes. However, everyone in Spain is so patient and kind, and willing to help us and wants us to be confident in our speaking by the time we leave!

We took off for a day trip to Cordoba at 7:30 am on Saturday, and it was absolutely breathtaking. We had been learning about Cordoba the last few days in class before we left, so I was very eager for us to take off on Saturday. However, I would have to say the most memorable part of the day was being in the Mosque of Cordoba, the Catholic cathedral. I was, and still am, in utter shock of the architecture and the grandness of the Mosque. It is very evident why the Mosque is known as one of the most significant structures of Islamic architecture, in which the building is embedded in a history of geometric origins, during a time when vast learning and knowledge was on the rise. My fellow classmates and I were having a difficult time fathoming the experience we had in the Mosque on Saturday – with such fine detail, precious materials, and an incredibly rich history that was at the heart of the Reconquest of Spain.

I am looking forward to classes next week because my roommate and I are giving a presentation on the reign of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand in the Royal Chapel of Granada! (Definitely a once in a lifetime experience to say the least.) The rest of our week is filled with more excursions, in which we  will visit the Santa Maria school and also another day trip to Sevilla. It’s hard to believe that we are about to begin our second week of classes – thisprogam has already flown by. This has already been such an eye-opening experience, and I am looking forward to more adventures to come. My roommates and I already have a really strong relationship with our host mom – she is one of the funniest people you’ll meet. We also look forward to coming home after class for lunch, the biggest meal of the day, to have her great cooking and sit around and chat with her about our day, have her share stories about herself and ourselves, and of course, laugh (and we laugh a lot)! I am so fortunate for the experiences Granada has given me, and I’m incredibly thankful for this opportunity. I can’t wait to share some more of the experiences soon. ¡Hasta luego!