Germany: Cooking Class

Submitted by Jill Wilhelm on the 2019 winter session study abroad program in Leipzig, Germany sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures & Culture…

After arriving in Germany, we are still getting used to speaking German everywhere we go, and even after a week, we still sometimes forget to use German. One of the most challenging activities so far was a cooking class that we took. We worked with German chefs to make a traditional Sachsen meal, but the chefs only spoke German. This forced us to use German skills at a rapid pace and introduced us to a wealth of new vocabulary. Not only was it a fun experience to be able to make and then eat traditional German food (we had potato soup; goose, rotkraut, and a pretzel dish; and potato pancakes with ice cream), it was interesting to reflect on American culture as well as German culture. I think it’s important to learn about new cultures, and then re-evaluate our conceptions about our own home. What would we cook for a traditional American meal? I found myself thinking about stereotyped American food, like hotdogs and hamburgers, and it was more difficult than I expected it to be to come up with a meal that held cultural value as opposed to just meeting a stereotype. As I continue my program in Germany, I hope to learn more about Germany that helps me to also learn more about my own home country.

Menu in German that describes what food we made
Study abroad group ready to eat the meal we just cooked