Peru: On Top of WAYNAPICCHU

Submitted by Robin Norko on the 2018 summer session program in Peru sponsored by the School of Nursing…

This past week was my last in Peru and it was very bittersweet. On Monday, we had our last hospital day. We got to work with children and in the Emergency Room which was a great way to close out the program. On Tuesday, we had our last day teaching in the communities. The students were grateful for us being there and were receptive to what we were saying and that’s what we care most about. Wednesday and Thursday were our last days and two of the best of the entire program.  On Wednesday, we went to Machu Picchu and hiked up the mountain Waynu Picchu next to it. It was by far the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. Part of the trail was so steep that you had to climb up on your hands and feet, but the view at the top made the hike so worth it. To look out over all the ruins and to think about how many people worked on and lived in those spaces was unbelievable. The experience in itself was eye-opening just to realize the level of history that I was experiencing. I have truly never enjoyed an entire month as much as I did this one and I will be grateful forever for the experience.

On top of Wayna Picchu!
At Machu Picchu.