“Stay-cations” in Rome, Italy

Submitted by Kaitlyn McConeghy on the 2018 spring semester program in Rome, Italy…

Some of my favorite weekends so far have been the ones spent exploring Rome. My friends and I like to call them “stay-cations” and we try to take the weekend to check out a new neighborhood,  restaurant or café.  On the weekends when we stay local, it’s hard not to get wrapped up in catching up on to-do list stuff: the homework, laundry and uploading pictures that we sometimes fall behind on when we have a crazy travel weekend.  But, one thing that we all talked about was that we don’t want to leave this semester feeling like we missed out on Rome amidst all the travel and schoolwork and craziness so we try to make it a priority to try something new each weekend.

One of the coolest parts about being here for a whole semester is that we get to really feel like residents and explore at a totally different pace than we would on a weekend-trip or even a winter session.  This weekend, we found a new favorite pizza place and finally figured out the difference between Napoletana and Roman style pizza (Napoletana=thick crust=YUM).  I love our “stay-cations” in Rome, and can’t wait for what we’ll discover next.