Barbados: Coral Reefs

Submitted by Kevin Silverstein on the 2018 winter session program in Barbados sponsored by the Department of Geography…

Hello, sadly for the last time. This program went by so fast and it will definitely be hard for me to leave. I have bonded so well with my peers on this program and look forward to seeing them again back at UD. This last week, I was lucky enough to get scuba certified through a professional certification program. I was shocked by the underwater landscapes of vast coral reefs. It is so different than the Atlantic surf I am used to at home. I felt like I was in another world under the water. At 60 feet down, I was surrounded by several colorful and majestic reef fish. I got to see parrotfish, moray eels, turtles and even a few lobsters. On our last dive, my instructor came across an illegal fish trap used by poachers. He motioned for me to hold the cage steady as he pried the doors open, releasing the fish. It felt good to help save these fish, all of which provide a needed service to the reef that is their home. I loved the dives and now I am certified for life! This opens a new door of opportunity for me as who knows what great dive locations are in store for me in the future. I will never forget this program!