Unplugged in New Zealand

Submitted by Amanda Ritter on the 2018 winter session program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Animal and Food Sciences…

The use of our phones in everyday life in the USA is so prominent that it is almost impossible to not have a phone. During this first week of studying abroad in New Zealand where WiFi isn’t widely available, I have noticed so many things I would have missed if I was on my phone. If I was on my phone during the bus ride from farm to farm, I would miss out on all of the beautiful landscapes that are very different from those in Delaware. Lots of waving, lush pastures and sheep high up on the hillside and even bright blue waters. If I was using my phone, I would miss out on all the amazing people you get to meet and have conversations with. These conversations are so much more meaningful than any conversation I would have had over my phone. You get much closer to everyone on the program and you start to become a family away from home. I’ve gotten close with some of the students that I probably would have never talked to otherwise and they are more meaningful too, because I wasn’t distracted with my phone and I had my full attention on them. I can say that I am enjoying the views and the relationships I am forming being disconnected from social media. The views and landscape here are incredible and I’m glad I’m not missing it by having my eyes on my phone.  I must say, unplugged is an awesome experience so far.