Staying Active in Hawaii

Submitted by Karley Platenik on the 2018 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the Department of Biological Sciences…

My name is Karley Platenik and as a senior at the University of Delaware, I am partici[pating on the 2018 BISC Hawaii study abroad proram. After spending four days in Hawaii, my expectations for this program have already been surpassed.  The breath-taking views every way you turn, the fresh locally grown food and the people on this program constantly put on a smile on my face.  Prior to leaving, I told myself that I wanted to be active while in Hawaii and to make the most of everyday.  This is why I decided that running would both keep me active and provide me with the opportunity to see some incredible views.  After voicing this to a few people on the program, my new acquaintance Luke told me that he wanted to do the same.  I was so excited because having another friend to run with would motivate me each morning to get up before class and get to know someone better without being in a large group.  On our first run together, we ran along the beach on the sidewalk.  I was surprised to see so many families and people out and about at 7:00 AM, but then I realized that it can get really hot in the afternoon, so many people may want to begin their day earlier.  During our run, we also discussed gathering a group of people to go hiking with us.  Later that day, we went on not one, but two hikes.  Our first hike was at Manoa Falls, where we were able to jump into the bottom of a 120-foot waterfall.  Despite the freezing water, it was much needed after the climb to the top.  At the end of our hike, we were looking at a map of the island discussing other hikes that we wanted to do when we spontaneously made the decision to drive to the Makapu’u Lighthouse Hike Pillboxes to catch the sunset.  This hike was a bit more difficult because it was steep and a mile and a half longer than the first.  Unfortunately, after we reached the top, we realized that we were on the wrong side of the mountain.  Despite this setback, we still had an amazing view and we were  able to get a group picture.  

On our second run together, we caught an incredible view of a rainbow as well as planned the hike for the day.  This hike, the Lanikai Pillbox Hike, was by far the hardest of the three, but also the most rewarding.  The views of the ocean and palm trees will never get old.