New Zealand Doritos

Submitted by Larissa Kubitz on the 2018 winter session program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Animal and Food Sciences…

Kia Ora! It’s been a busy first week of study abroad here in Christchurch, New Zealand. After a brutal two days of travel, I finally arrived in the land of the long white cloud on January 2nd, where my peers and I settled in to Lincoln University on the country’s South Island. What a change to go from the frigid temperatures of the U.S. East Coast to the balmy summer weather of New Zealand. For the residents of this beautiful country, this time of year is their summer, as illustrated by the noticeable humidity. I am very excited to be able to wear shorts and tank tops in January.

So far, I have gotten a basic overview of how similar and different this country is from back home in the States. The “kiwi” way of life is not drastically different from ours, but it’s fascinating to make observations. The first thing I found jarring was the traffic patterns; like most other countries in the world, New Zealanders drive on the left side of the road, a system that makes bus rides in New Zealand more stressful for those of us who instinctively feel like we are about to crash.

There are many more small differences that have jumped out at me in my daily travels over the past five days, but the one I found most interesting? Nacho cheese Doritos in a yellow bag instead of red.

But the most valuable thing I have learned in this first week in New Zealand is that photos can only go so far to capture the gorgeous scenery and landscapes this place has to offer. New Zealand = unparalleled stunning views everywhere you look.