England: Two Things to Note

Submitted by Joey Woodward on the 2017 summer session program in London, England sponsored by the Department of English…

Over the course of my stay in London so far I have noticed two things:
1) The British people seem more informed.
On the bus ride back from Stonehenge and Bath, the driver had a political talk show on the radio. The people who were calling in sounded very informed, they knew what they were talking about. I get the general sense that people are more politically aware and can speak intelligently about issues more so than people in the United States.

And 2) The British have a different way of doing politics/coverage of politics.
When it comes to politics, British people are much more brash, but it is not really rude as a lot of it seems to be good-nature arguments. Especially in Parliament, where it is very common for MPs to jeer. I think Americans could learn a lot from the British, with how they handle politics.

It is hard to keep track of everything I have done in such a short period of time. We have seen two plays, one of which was in the Globe Theatre (a reproduction of the Globe Theatre where Shakespeare’s plays were performed), visited the Times’ headquarters, toured the Houses of Parliament, and last Saturday I, and several others, took a day trip to Oxford. With so many adventures and experiences under my belt, I feel I have truly made good use of this amazing opportunity which has been provided for me.

A mural of Shakespeare that we found under a bridge near the Globe Theatre.