Studying Healthcare in Peru

Submitted by Roanne Dacumos on the 2017 summer session program in Peru sponsored by the School of Nursing…

For the Nursing internship in Peru, we spent three days this week working in the hospital in Calca, Cusco. I was very surprised to see the minimal setting. Inpatient units consisted of three beds in one room with only an office to distinguish the various departments of pediatrics, women’s health, general medicine and emergency. The language barrier made it quite difficult to communicate with the families, but the nurses did guide us to aide the doctors in completing paperwork. With my high school Spanish skills, I spent the first day in pediatrics documenting growth charts, measurements and basic information.

I hoped to see a birth since I am traveling with my maternity professor, however other girls were able to see one. On the positive side, I really enjoyed the time spent with the children in the hospital and in the community. The children seem to live simply, since they never have toys with them. It seems that the littlest things whether it be peek-a-boo or even a piece of bread can excite them.

Aside from the time spent doing healthcare, I learned a great amount from the community. I was able to travel to the market with a few friends and meet Americans who relocated to Peru. They taught me a lot about living a happy life without needing materialistic possessions. I also explored the ruins of Ollantaytambo during the winter solstice, where the archaeologist Luis taught us about the rich Inca history. On the side of the mountain was a face of an Inca King that only illuminates during the solstice. There is a portion of the ruins that is an altar to the sun, which is shaped like a llama. The middle of the altar is the llama’s eye where coincidentally or purposefully the sun rays shine first during the solstice. This is one of the most important days of the year for the Incas. The Incas were way ahead of their time and amazing astronomers. I am currently sitting outside  looking at the stars at 9,500 ft. elevation in absolute awe of the ones that illuminate the sky. I saw my first shooting star here, so it is no wonder the Incas were so fascinated.