Setting Sail in Ireland

Submitted by Michelle Curtis on the 2017 summer session program in Ireland  sponsored by the Department of History and the Department of Political Science and International Relations…

Ireland week three! Can’t believe I’ve already been in this country for three whole weeks! Due to a stomach bug, I got a later start to the week and unfortunately had to miss out on a few tours. I was able to tour the Jeanie Johnston Famine Ship though. This boat is a replica of the original Jeanie Johnston that sailed from Ireland to Canada 16 times bringing over immigrants to the new world. Touring this boat was extremely eye opening for me. It is hard to imagine over 200 people crammed into the bottom of a ship for up to 7 weeks. Although there were many boats that were transporting immigrants, the Jeanie Johnston is special because in its 16 total voyages to America and Canada, not one person ever died. Due to having a great and regimented crew, captain and doctor on board, every person survived during the journey across the Atlantic.

This past weekend was our “free weekend”.  I and two other girls traveled to Cardiff, Wales. While in Wales, we toured the Cardiff Castle, partook in afternoon tea, visited Cardiff Bay and celebrated my 20th birthday! Although the trip was short, it was great to see another part of the world. Also, I’ve been to three different countries in less than a week, which is pretty awesome!