Cuba: Missing Its Warmth

Submitted by Kathryn Diaz on the 2017 winter session program in Cuba sponsored by the Department of Art…

The final week came to a close. One minute, we were just arriving in the Plaza Hotel, anxiously awaiting the beginning of our journey together. The next, we were briefly swept under our feet by the beauty of Viñales. The final days were experienced in the blink of an eye as we immersed ourselves into the Cuban household together. Just like that, our days in Cuba were over. The time flew by, but the time we had together will last forever. Cuba made me appreciate the delicacy of time and how it is so important to cherish every moment. There is such a difference in conversation, acknowledgment and contact in Cuba versus the United States. In Cuba, people see each other eye to eye. There is a level of understanding that is accepted and felt by everybody on a more personal level. Even though there was a small language barrier (as I spoke very broken Spanish), I felt connected to Cubans and my peers alike. People welcome you with open arms, from kids who are eight years old to adults that are eighty years old. I will miss the warmth of Cuba, both from smiles and the sun. I will miss the warmth, but I will try to bring it back to the United States in my own sense. From my time in Cuba, I’ve learned to be more open with people and to welcome challenges and explorations of new cultures with more passion and less hesitation.