Copenhagen: Sense of Belonging

Submitted by Samantha Stinchcomb on the 2017 spring semester DIS (Denmark’s International Study Program) program in Copenhagen, Denmark…

I’ve been in Copenhagen, Denmark for almost two weeks now and I’m FINALLY getting a chance to breathe! The first few days were spent being tourists—going to see the colorful houses at Nyhavn, eating Danish-style hot dogs and getting lost in the city we’ll be calling home for the next 4 months. Moving in to a new place and doing ice breakers with the people in my apartment reminded me of my first day in Dickinson freshmen year. The people on my freshman year floor are still some of my best friends so I’m excited to form similar bonds with my roommates abroad.

I chose Copenhagen because I thought I would (somewhat) fit in here with my blonde hair and pale skin. However, my looks do not help me out at all when I can’t tell which bus stop is next or how much 250 kr actually is. For someone who’s never been out of the country, it’s been extremely overwhelming, but in the best way possible. I’m so intrigued by the way Danes do things differently than us, especially because they’re supposed to be the “happiest country in the world”. I know I’ve only been here for a week, but I can completely understand why! There’s just something about this place—the atmosphere, the people, the sounds (or lack thereof)—that create a sense of belonging, even to an outsider like me. They don’t care that I have no idea what they’re saying in Danish, they are more than willing to speak English (fluently!) when I look confused. I’ve really been enjoying the Danes’ use of candles. They. Are. Everywhere! Even in close, confined spaces which would just never happen in America. The candles create such a warm, welcoming vibe that is greatly appreciated when it’s 0 degrees Celsius outside.