Barbados: Amazing Experience

Submitted by Victoria Giannini on the 2017 winter session program in Barbados sponsored by the Department of Human Development and Family Studies…

I can’t even put into words how much fun this program was. As I look back and become nostalgic, I know that I will remember this amazing month abroad for the rest of my life. I start by looking back to last year when I was contemplating going on this program. I had a lot to think about– the money, the time away from home and a lot more. As I look back now, I know that I made the right decision. I don’t know if my University of Delaware undergrad experience could be described as the same without this amazing opportunity. The money, the time spent on applications, the preparation to leave the United States, the packing and anxiousness– all worth it. 100%.

This program has opened my eyes to cultural differences and how important it is for us to model acceptance and embrace differences for children. As a future teacher, I know that children learn by imitation and it is a teacher’s job to model appropriate behavior. Therefore, I can’t stress how important it is for us to be culturally competent and open to other ways of doing things. With all of the sudden drama going on in the United States, this program allowed me to experience what it is like to be a cultural and racial minority.

As we were nearing the second half of our program, I wasn’t feeling much like a tourist anymore. I learned so much about the ins and outs of the island and where the best place to be on a Sunday night (karaoke!). Myself and the other participants found ourselves helping other tourists around the island and telling them the place with the best flying fish or where the best hangouts were. I honestly do not know if any students from other programs can say the same about the country which they visited. Whenever I heard from previous students who went on this program, I didn’t really believe that it would be an amazing experience. However, now that I have experienced it myself, I am proven wrong. This program has given me lifetime friends and memories, cultural awareness and some of the best days/nights of my life so far. I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t get to have this experience.

As I experienced my last week of placements here in Barbados, my timid and reserved class of 4 and 5 year olds were opening up to me more than ever. They were so open to giving hugs and asking me to sit with them during lunch and even asked me for help (even when they didn’t need it!). I was so happy to finally make some connections with the children in my class. I hope to see them again one day. Ten days in the Primary Schools was not enough. I wish I could have experienced this program for 2 months instead of one. I truly enjoyed my time here in Barbados and will definitely be coming back in the near future! I will remember this experience forever.