Panama: Visiting Taboga Island

Submitted by Umma Fatema on the 2017 winter session program in Panama sponsored by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures…

I have been in Panama for a week now. I can confidently say that this past week has been the best time of my life. I have learned much about the Panamanian culture and improved my Spanish tremendously. This past weekend, we went to Taboga Island which is located in the Pacific Ocean and has historical significance to the Panamanians. After the construction of the Panama Canal, the United States wanted to maintain control of the canal and wanted to take Taboga Island. That resulted in a clash between Panama and the United States which led to many protests and eventually the canal was given to Panama. Taboga Island was a great place to visit this weekend because not only is it the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, it is also relevant to the history and literature of the Panama Canal that we are learning about in class. I also learned how to make patacones from a Taboga resident which is an authentic Panamanian food made from plantains. I would recommend Taboga Island for anyone interested in learning about the rich Panamanian Culture and the beautiful lanscape that can only be experienced in Taboga.