England: Tea Time

Submitted by Tiffany Canjura on the 2017 winter session program in London, England sponsored by the Department of Communications…

It’s no secret that the British are infamously known for their distinctive blends of teas, let alone their love for them. In fact, as I compose this post, I sit in a small and dainty tea shop sipping a warm cup of classic English Breakfast Tea. Upon coming to London, I was well aware of the relationship between the British and their tea, but, of course, still had a lot to learn about British tea culture. In London, tea can be found and bought at nearly every store. It’s accessibility is equivalent to water. Even hotel rooms, mine in particular, are equipped with electric kettles, sugar cubes, milk and of course, an assortment of teas. Between the hours of three and five, you will find tea rooms and cafes filled with Londoners enjoying scones and sipping on the delicious staple that is religiously steeped for exactly five minutes. To the British, “Tea Time” is a ritual, a time to unwind and a social gathering. So far, I am very much enjoying “Tea Time” and even find myself looking forward to the mid-day delight.