Australia: Laws

Submitted by Jenna Perrotta on the 2017 winter session program in Australia sponsored by the Department of Behavioral Health & Nutrition…

This week was a very eventful week. We visited the Parliament House in Melbourne which was a great educational experience. We learned about all the differences in laws between the United States and Australia. For example, gay marriage is not legal in Australia, while the United States has made huge strides in that department. Also, the drinking age in Australia is 18, but even if you are underage, you may have a party with alcohol with a parent’s consent. These were all very interesting to learn about because I always thought the United States and Australia had basically the same policies.

We also went sea kayaking and sub boarding at Brighton Beach. Both of these activities were not what I was expecting. I thought they would be very leisurely and fun, but both were very challenging and, at times, not enjoyable. However, it was good to challenge myself and I learned that I can overcome discomfort and fears.

We also went to CoHealth, a health organization that follows a holistic approach. They have dental care, medical care, speech pathology, audiology, etc. all under the same roof for people who cannot afford health care. This was really interesting to learn about because it’s very different in the United States, where if you want to see a specialist you have to travel elsewhere. Overall, it was another amazing week.

This is a photo of the Parliament House, which is still under construction. It’s very decadent, with gold detailing around the room.