Life in My New Home: Week One in Paris

Submitted by Riley Thomas on the 2016 fall semester study abroad program in Paris, France…

In the months leading up to my semester abroad in Paris, I must have played out thousands of different scenarios in my head of how it would go. I felt excitement, disbelief, anxiousness and a bit of fear. I never pictured myself as one of those people who would spend an entire semester abroad, but somehow, I had just become one. Although, I spent the week leading up to my departure in a sort of pre-departure culture shock, when my plane began to land in Charles de Galle airport at six in the morning and I saw the sprawling lights of Paris and its suburbs outside my window, my anxiety was replaced with equal parts calm, wonder and anticipation.

One thing that has surprised me since arriving in Paris is how warmly I’ve been welcomed. There’s the stereotype that Parisians can be standoffish and rude, however, everyone I’ve met has embraced me with open arms. My host mom and sister treated me to fresh croissants and tea immediately upon my arrival and are always eager to help me out with practicing my language skills and making sure I have everything I need to be comfortable. My host sister also takes the time to invite me out with her friends so I can experience the neighborhood as she does, and I always feel included.

Of course, I also can’t forget to mention the food. My host mom is a wonderful cook and my meals are always healthy, fresh and delicious. Mealtime in France has a much different vibe than it does in the United States. While I can’t really remember the last time I sat down with my family for a full meal, almost every night my host mom and sister sit down properly and eat together. There is never any rush in the evening either, so I am able to savor every bite as we make conversation.

This past week, we’ve had some French refresher courses before our actual classes start. Afterwards, the city is ours to explore and it’s a bit daunting once you realize just how big it is. There are the big things like the Eiffel Tour and the Louvre, but there’s also the little things, like small boutiques, cafés, and cute cobblestone back streets that you don’t want to miss. While overwhelming, the bits of exploring I’ve done already have given me the footing I need (and a grasp on the Metro) so I am able to make the most out of the city while I am here.

notre-dame-riley-thomas-16f-paris-sm