Observing Healthcare System in Hungary

Submitted by Megan O’Dell on the 2016 summer session program in Budapest, Hungary sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences…

During my second week in Hungary, I got a much more hands on experience in the medical field. I shadowed at the Semmelweis University Heart and Vascular Center and the Military Hospital in Budapest. I noted many differences between the hospitals in Hungary and the hospitals in the United States. For example, in our Intensive Care Units our patients have separate rooms in order to prevent spread of disease, but in Hungary, there is not enough space for this, so all of the patients are in one room. I also noted that our crash carts, which are carts full of tools used if a patient goes into cardiac arrest, are completely locked up. This technique is mostly used as a way to prevent any stealing of the equipment or medication. In Hungary, the tools and medications are in a tray that is unlocked and wide open for use by anyone. I also noted that in most of our hospitals in the States we have a code system in which a number or color represents a different situation such as a fire, a patient in cardiac arrest, an intruder, etc. Hungary does not have systems like this and it is most likely due to a lack of technology. The lack of technology in Hungary is also evident in terms of how the doctors and nurses take notes on the patients. In America, everything  is electronic and different programs are used to file patient history and other important notes. In Budapest, such notes are completely handwritten on different charts that contain patient history, medications prescribed, etc. I also noticed that these charts are left out in the open at the end of patients’ beds, while in America, medical personnel need passwords in order to obtain patient information due to laws that protect patient privacy.

Throughout this past week, I got to learn more about Hungarian culture just through observation when out and about in the city. I have noted that Hungary has a huge amount of patriotism. Currently, the Euro Cup is taking place in France. It is a huge soccer tournament among the European Countries. While the games between the countries are constantly playing on TVs at almost every restaurant in the city, it is a different story when Hungary is one of the teams in the match. Huge screens are set up around the city for large viewing parties. The Hungarians dress up in soccer uniforms and wigs, put on face paint, run around with Hungarian flags and are constantly chanting for their country while watching their team with so much pride.

The following is a picture of me and students in the program preparing to scrub in and shadow in the operating room.Students Hospital Megan O'Dell 16J Budapest ARSC micro sm