A Quiet Spot in Salamanca, Spain

Submitted by Blair Sabol on the 2016 summer session program in Salamanca, Spain sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

By far, one of the most gorgeous places here in Salamanca is this hidden oasis named “Huerto de Calisto y Melibea”, an orchard tucked away in a corner. Its lush greenery helps to dispel the monotony of the golden-sand colored buildings, and the view of the city isn’t too bad either (see photo).  As soon as you pass the entrance gates, you are overwhelmed by the fresh aromas of roses and thriving plants, a not too common sight in the arid, desert like environment here. Its shady walkways make it a wonderful place to avoid the intense, dry heat of the Salamancan sun and allows one to enjoy another’s company, have a peaceful afternoon of quiet reflection or even get some homework done (we’re here to study, right?). However, the most beautiful thing about the garden isn’t the flowers or the view over the edge, it’s the history behind it. Calixto and Melibea are characters that hail from La Celestina, a Romeo & Juliet type tragedy-comedy hailing from the late 15th century. Fernando de Rojas, the author, is also an alumni of the very same University that I am currently attending here in Salamanca. The story of Calisto y Melibea takes place in a garden almost exactly like the garden here that hosts many visitors each day seeking the romantic scenery from the famous work, thus the reason for its name.

Overlooking Salamanca Blair Sabol 16J Salamanca Spain DLLC sm

The garden is full of life, much like the vivid characters in Rojas’ work. Just by spending a few hours here myself, I was able to analyze my current experiences with a positive outlook. The transition has been difficult and a multitude of unexpected inconveniences has made for a bumpy first week. The days have been long and hot, but each day I am grateful to be a student here soaking up both sun and knowledge, of the language I have been studying for seven years and its rich history. It’s easy to get lost in the material things, the superficial and frustrating events that I have had no control over. In this photo, though it doesn’t look it, my legs are dangling over a very steep drop. I simply had to swing my legs right over the edge to get the best view, and I have the same motivation to make the best of this experience, though it might be terrifying or uncomfortable. From day one, I immediately began using Spanish with my host mother who is nearing 60 years old, has always lived here in Salamanca and doesn’t speak a lick of English. I was pleasantly surprised when I actually understood her, and she could understand me.  I lost my phone only two days into the program, and I managed to buy a cheap, Spanish phone in a local Yoigo store using my language skills. I can only hope that during the rest of my program, I will be able to write my own story and stamp my name onto the historic landmarks, such as el Huerto, here in Salamanca (not literally, of course). There are many experiences to be had here, so much culture to absorb & fluency to be gained. ¡Estoy emocionado para ver que llegará pronto! (I am excited to see what will happen next!)