Classes in Granada, Spain

Submitted by Rachel Levithan on the 2016 winter session program in Spain and Italy sponsored by the Department of Political Science and Criminal Justice…

During week two, we stayed in Granada. I loved the hotel in Granada since it was very authentic. Since we were able to have access to the University in Granada, we did not travel as much and had a full week of classes.  It was interesting being at the university and experiencing a different atmosphere of learning.

In Granada, we had the opportunity to visit the Alhambra. The Alhambra was a Muslim palace before the Catholics conquered it when they took over Granada. I cannot explain in words the view I saw or the experience of how I felt. I took many pictures, but they did not do it justice. The view was as if you were looking over the world and seeing everything from a different eye.

Later on in the week, we attended a flamenco show. The show was very authentic. The individuals that participated in the dance were all family and the dance told a story. The show was lively and entertaining. At the end of the show, I was picked and I had to try to dance, but my body could not move like theirs. After the show, we walked around and were able to see the Alhambra lit up at night. This was a view that could not be captured in a picture. The view was breathtaking and amazing. None of the pictures I took could do it justice. The week in Granada was very laid back and we attended many classes and now we were going to travel to Sevilla.

Granada Rachel Levithan 16W Spain Italy POSC sm