Peaceful New Zealand

Submitted by Robert Pierce Reilly on the 2016 winter session program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Animal and Food Sciences…

After only a week of being in New Zealand, I have already made so many memories. In the first week alone I not only got to know my classmates incredibly well, but went to some of the most peaceful, beautiful spots in Christchurch. Of the week’s adventures that included visiting multiple sheep farms, a dairy farm, Akaroa, and much more, my favorite experience was swimming and hiking at Diamond Harbor on our first free afternoon. It began by taking the Diamond Harbor Ferry to the hiking location after figuring out the public bus system in Christchurch. Upon arrival, my new companions and I jumped right into the adventures. We hiked every possible path as well as creating some of our own, finding views I thought only existed in movies. Overlooking the port with the mid-morning haze beginning to dissipate over the mountains as the sunlight began to creep through the clouds gave me a peaceful feeling that I have never felt before. At the summit of the trails, I sat and looked. I didn’t say a word, I didn’t think about anything – I just observed. The lush green of the mountainside meeting the vibrant blue glacier water of the Pacific Ocean was as tranquil a scene as I could have ever imagined. As I sat, I not only opened my eyes, but my ears as well. The waves of the high tide gently crashing into the rocks we had just explored, soothed me like a lullaby along with the wind rustling the leaves of the surrounding trees. I had never been calmer in my life. I didn’t want to move and I didn’t have to. I have few pictures of the site because I was so mesmerized by the beauty before me that I realized it deserved to be looked at with my eyes, not through the lens of a camera. Luckily, my incredibly talented photographer of a friend, Brian Griffiths captured each moment for me. He has visited the island multiple times and was happy to capture my amazement and tranquility for me.

Robert P Reilly Brian Griffiths 16W New Zealand ANFS sm

Once the midday sun was clear of the clouds and the temperature began to rise, we decided it was a perfect time to go for a swim. At the harbor, there was a rope swing that was meant for only one thing: to have fun. My classmates and I were all eager to test it out, and more importantly, the temperature of the water. I was so excited about being in the most beautiful place on earth, that I volunteered to go first (I would have tried to go first regardless of the uncertainty of the water temperature). I climbed up the crane that dangled the rope to retrieve it. Before I reached, I looked around, and again was overcome with the natural beauty of the island. My excitement to get in the water sky rocketed. I descended and began to prepare to swing with all my classmates anxiously cheering me on. With two quick lunges, I was swinging over the glacier water not knowing what to expect. I released and prepared for submersion. I could not believe how a place so gorgeous could also be so fun. The water was a refreshingly perfect temperature, especially floating under the sun’s warming rays. With that leap, the floodgates opened and the real fun began for our entire class.

I could not have imagined a better way to spend our first free afternoon in New Zealand. It was adventurous yet peaceful, exciting yet soothing. It was a perfect way to begin our excursion here because it was close, easy to get to, fun, relaxing and exciting all in one without overdoing it on the first week. I cannot wait to see what lies ahead of me and my companions.