Daycare in South Africa

Submitted by Sarah Stearns on the 2016 winter session program in South Africa sponsored by the Department of Human Development and Family Studies and the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management…

We started placements this past week. They began on Tuesday morning. Anxious was the perfect word to describe my emotion that morning. I adore kids, thus why I want to become a teacher. I love volunteering. I love helping others. Yet, I was nervous because it was a new experience. We were going to a place I’ve never been before in a country I was just adjusting to. They were all new people there and this made me nervous to interact. Of course, it was just because it was a new experience. After the first few minutes, I knew this feeling would pass. I walked off the van and saw the tent with what looked to be many children. The noise inside was rumbling. I saw one kid peek his head out and wave to me; this instantly made me less nervous. We walked into the office where Lindewe, the founder of the Luvuyo Orphanage, stood. She gave us a tour of the center. There were only two bedrooms, one designated for girls, the other for boys. There is a small recreation room, an outside tented area for eating/crafts and three small shed-like structures for classroom use. This area is also used for infants and toddlers to take naps. The center is definitely not designed for a daycare/orphanage setting, but there was a high need in the community so Lindewe did with what she had. She used her resources. I commend her so much for doing all of this. Even though it is not pretty, its functional and it gives the children their daily needs and a safe place to sleep at night.
It’s hard coming from America with much experience in daycare and early learning centers not to compare the two and make judgments. I kind of wish I didn’t have so much experience and thus expectations for places like these. I was utterly shocked by the state of the playground. It had rusted poles coming out of the dirt every time a child swung. The monkey bars were rusting and some were not in their proper sockets. Safety is one of my main concerns and obviously this placement is not up to par. I know I’m judging and maybe their way is the right way in particular situations. But, having equipment like this is just downright unsafe. I feel my heart speed up when all the kids run towards it. I feel like when I am there part of my duty is to supervise the children when they are on the playground. The playground is not age-appropriate for toddler or babies. Yet, the one year olds are teetering on the metal steps barely hanging on. I always try to migrate to the younger ones on the playground to help them. There seem to be no rules when outside. I have seen the rules posted in each bedroom and recreation room, but I don’t know how strict they are about these.

childsm
I wish I learned how they deal with conflict resolution. Every time I see kids fighting, it seems to be no big deal. However, I can’t watch and not step in when someone is being hurt. I tried not to step on the Mama’s toes when I am there. When I see hitting, there is an instinct I can’t help. I have to intervene and try to stop it. I am beginning to realize after being there four times that violence might just be something this community grows up with. I want to talk to the Mamas more about violence in this particular community and among the kids. Learning this information  will enhance my experience at the orphanage. I can not wait to get back there next week and continue doing what we can to improve the lives of both the Mamas and the children there.