Culture Shock and a Friendly Face in Rome, Italy

Submitted by Justin Morello on the 2016 spring semester program in Rome, Italy…

I felt the University of Delaware did an excellent job setting us up for the inevitable culture shock that we would face going abroad to Rome, Italy. However nothing really prepares you for your first time of experiencing it. My roommates and I were looking for a taxi to get us home for the night and did not want to overpay. We asked the taxi driver to roll down his window, showed him our address and asked him, “How much?”  He stared at us blankly for a second before speaking a couple seconds in full Italian, ending with the only phrase I could understand, “…no English.” My roommates and I were perplexed about what to do and were going to the next cab when I thought of an idea. I pulled out my wallet, showed the taxi driver a 20 euro bill and asked again, “How much?” Finally understanding my question and laughing, he proceeds to pull out his wallet, pulls out a 10 euro bill and replies “How much!”

To see a taxi driver be fair to us even though we couldn’t speak the same language struck me as one of my first lasting memories here in a new country. I’ve only been here for five days and I have a lot to learn, but I found comfort in a taxi driver.
 colsm