Adjusting to Hong Kong

Submitted by Megan Blissick on the 2015 winter session program in Hong Kong sponsored by the Department of Fashion and Apparel Studies…

Today is my fifth day in Hong Kong and it already feels like I’ve been here for months. The city is fantastic—energetic, continuous, and beautiful. Though Hong Kong houses some of the tallest skyscrapers in its highly developed metropolitan area, the city is littered with botanical gardens, parks, and vegetation, and is built into the tremendous mountains scattered across the skyline. I had no idea how hilly it would be! Our hotel is across from a botanical garden and zoo near Central Hong Kong, so our morning walks are bustling with locals and visitors gathering in the area. Hong Kong is very highly developed and generally bilingual between English and Cantonese, so many things are not as culturally shocking as one might expect, but there are a few significant differences I’m working on adjusting to.

Hong Kong Night Megan Bissick 15W Hong Kong FASH smHong Kong Night 2 Megan Bissick 15W Hong Kong FASH sm

First off, the hills. I had no idea that every walk would consist of walking up a hill, and if too steep, flights of stairs down the sidewalk. Definitely not a place for high heels!

Second, the driving. In Hong Kong, motorists drive on the left side of the road with the driver in the right of the vehicle. On top of reversing traffic in vehicles, this has reversed traffic for pedestrians as well, keeping to the left instead of the right when walking. This has caused a few traffic jams, especially with the large amount of foreigners working in the area.

In Hong Kong, everything seems to be a little bit faster and a little bit smaller. You wouldn’t think this would make much of a difference, but the escalators, trains, stairs, restaurants, restrooms, and even the people will keep you on a tight schedule!

After working in a restaurant for four years, the layout for dining really threw me off. In Hong Kong, the consumer flags down their waiter or waitress whenever they need something—no one comes to your table unless necessary. The tip is also included in service, but it feels strange to not leave something extra!

And finally, I’ve found it very strange being a foreigner. I am an obvious minority, even in a multicultural city such as Hong Kong, and it seems to intrigue people…enough to take pictures. In the few days I’ve been here, I’ve experienced quite a few strangers trying to sneak a picture of my group or myself; not many of them are very sneaky at all!

Students Hong Kong Megan Bissick 15W Hong Kong FASH sm

One more tidbit for you dog lovers…I’ve seen some of the best-dressed dogs while here in Hong Kong. It seems that this city is fashionable, all the way down to their pets!

So far, I absolutely love Hong Kong. The food is fantastic (and cheap!), the locals are kind and friendly, the city is clean and beautiful, and it’s really the place to be for a Fashion major to gain cultural experience. Now I just have to brush up on my Cantonese…

Overlooking Hong Kong Megan Bissick 15W Hong Kong FASH smTemple Hong Kong Megan Bissick 15W Hong Kong FASH smStatue Hong Kong Megan Bissick 15W Hong Kong FASH sm