Active London

Submitted by Lindsey Szymanski on the 2015 winter session program in London sponsored by the Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice…

Today marks a week since I have embarked on my month long study abroad program to London and amazingly it feels like I have been here for much longer.  London is such an extraordinary city that I have been able to adjust to so easily even with people driving on the wrong side of the road, having to learn the underground tube system (their version of a subway) and many more little cultural differences.  Ironically, our tube station is Russell Square which immediately reminded me of Russell Residence Hall which was my home freshman year, making this new city feel all the more like home.  However, one major difference I have noticed is everyone is very active, as so many people run even in the cold weather and biking is so prevalent that there are two way bike lanes and even light up crossing signs for people on bikes.  I have even walked 13 miles in one day! It’s such a busy city with so many things to do and see in such close proximity that the opportunities are endless. I have already taken pictures of Big Ben, toured Westminster Abbey, seen the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and so much more.  In addition to the typical tourist attractions, we went on a walking tour concentrating on the history of surgery by Dr. Richard Barnett, toured the British Museum overviewing history ranging from the Assyrian Empire to the Egyptian Empire to Greece, and viewed a fantastically funny show called La Soiree.  Thus far, there is absolutely nothing I can say I do not like about this city except maybe the unexpected rain showers that happen very often, but I think that’s just part of the charm of London.  There is so much more to look forward to and to learn I cannot wait!