South African Name

Submitted by Julia Schmidt on the 2014 winter session program in South Africa sponsored by the the Department of Human Services and Family Studies and the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics…

I cannot believe the first week here in South Africa has already come to an end. So far it has been a dream come true and has somehow exceeded my impossibly high expectations. We have been lucky enough to have already done so much and have gone on numerous excursions. The adventure began when we went to the Number Four Prison in Johannesburg where Nelson Mandela and Ghandi were incarcerated. Next, we went to the Apartheid Museum which was an emotional and spiritual experience I will never forget. We were also lucky enough to see the new Mandela statue and see his and Desmond Tutu’s homes in Soweto. Also in Soweto, we had the privilege of having dinner with a Soweto family and earn our African names. Mine is Katlego meaning “success in all you do”. In addition, we went to the Ann Van Dyke Cheetah Reserve where we were lucky, and brave, enough to pet them and learn all about their endangered species. After that, we went to Lesedi Cultural Village and learned about the five original tribes in South Africa. Along with these amazing excursions, we have been able to tour Pretoria which is where we are staying and meet many local people. I cannot wait for next week and the rest of my time here in South Africa!