Finals and Final Days

Submitted by Carolyn Jones on  the 2013 fall semester exchange program with the Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality…

It is official, the culmination of our semester has taken place, and we are finally done with the gala dinner. Although it is sad to be done, the feeling of relief was overwhelming when we sent our last plates out to the guests on Friday. It was a long evening with over 9 hours spent in the kitchen. Our class performed better than any of us expected, and we received positive reviews from the guests. My friend Stef and I are baking perfectionists, so we left feeling happy and proud of our desserts, but probably would have made a few more small touches if we had the chance.

After so much build up, we are all in somewhat of a gray area now that the dinner is over. Connie and I succeeded in our goal of watching all seven Harry Potter movies which was a much needed break. This morning marked the beginning of final exam week, but with two gala dinners crossed off our list, our only exams left are German, Beverages, and a presentation for our Theory class. I officially started packing because I needed to know if I would have enough room to fit everything in my one suitcase. It is definitely going to be a close call, but thus far I am refusing to buy a second one. I may have to wear all of my clothes to the airport, but one way or another I am going to make it work. I do not think any of us can believe we are leaving in 11 days…I feel like the time went by so quickly, but I have had enough time to develop a new kind of life here. It will be weird to leave it and return home, but I am so excited to see my friends and family. Before I let myself get sentimental though, I need to go to a Christmas market. We are so excited for one last celebration.