London’s West End Theatre District

Submitted by Sheila Ward on the 2013 fall semester program in London, England…

This past week, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to see three productions in London’s West End theatre district. They included The Scottsboro Boys, The Woman in Black, and Mojo. The theatre district reminds me exactly of Broadway in Manhattan. It’s centered around Piccadilly Circus which is the Times Square of London.

The Scottsboro Boys is a musical about nine African American boys who are accused of committing a crime they know they are all innocent of. I really enjoyed the music in this production; it reminded me a lot of the music from Chicago.

The Woman in Black is a play about a lawyer who is haunted by the ghost of a woman. Throughout the play, the lawyer discovers the story behind the woman and it ends in a thrilling twist. I really enjoyed this play because I have never seen a “scary” theatre production.

Lastly, Mojo is a play about a group of boys in the 1950’s who run a club in London. This play was definitely the edgiest production, I have seen while in London. I enjoyed the rock n roll music and the actors Rupert Grint, Brendan Coyle, and Colin Morgan were in the play which definitely made the production more exciting.