Diversity in London

Submitted by Melody Taylor on the 2013 fall semester program in London, England…

London is one of the most diverse cities I have ever been to. Less than half of Londoners consider themselves “white British.” The rest of the citizens are from many different ethnic backgrounds, and live all over the city. While riding the tube, it is common not to just hear English, but also the 300 other languages spoken in the city.

Luckily, I got to participate in a MyEducation event CAPA hosted where I got to go to Neasden Temple. MyEducation is a program CAPA encourages where they host free events around the city to bring your education outside of the classroom. The temple is the largest Hindu temple outside of India, and it is located in the northwest of London close to Wembley Stadium. We got to participate in a typical Hindu worship service then ask questions about the building and Hinduism from a staff member of the temple. It is amazing how a 15 minute bus ride from where I live becomes a completely different neighborhood, and a chance to learn about a diverse culture.