Putting the ‘Study’ in Study Abroad

Submitted by Rebecca Jaeger on the 2013 fall semester program in Granada, Spain..

After three weeks in Spain, I truly feel that I am adapting well to my new life. However, one change that I was not ready for, was the jump back into schoolwork. Coming off of a fun, relaxing summer, I was expecting a peaceful first month abroad, prior to starting classes on October 1st. Boy, was I wrong! This week, for my Intensive Spanish Course, I had a final exam, two essays, multiple in-class assignments, and a formal oral presentation. Prior to coming to Spain, I did not spend much time thinking about the classwork that I would have to do. Rather, I was just so excited to begin the opportunity of a lifetime. But, as I have learned this week, while being abroad is fun, it also requires work. I go to class for about three hours a day and then I come back to the apartment to eat, study, and sleep. Although I am living in a historic, foreign city, time still must be devoted to the classroom.

But, at the same time, as I am living in Europe for four months, I am also taking the time to learn as much as possible while I am here. I thoroughly enjoy all of the excursions that we go on, because I love absorbing as much history and culture as possible. So, while some people dread the constant stream of museums in Europe, I am going to be taking them by storm and enjoying every nerdy minute of them!

Plus, who can complain about the work when one of their University buildings has a view like this?