Studying Abroad Comes Full Circle in Granada, Spain

Submitted by Stephanie Grow Adams, an alum of the 2002  fall semester program in Granada, Spain…

In the fall of 2002, I studied abroad in Granada, Spain. I had an incredible experience living in Granada and travelling around Spain. I count my study abroad experience as one of my best memories from studying at Delaware. It also inspired a lifelong passion for travel.

This past summer, nearly 10 years after that first study abroad trip, I returned to Granada with my husband. I decided to take him on a “roots tour” and walk around my old neighborhood. While walking past the apartment building I lived in, we bumped into my old host mom, Carmen Villanueva. I stopped, did a double take, and then bounded back to run after her. I broke out my best Spanish, reminded her who I was, and exchanged hugs and besos. She invited me up to the apartment where we caught up and chatted. It was a delightful visit.

I know Carmen was a long time Delaware host mom, so I’d like to let other people that may have stayed with her to know that she’s doing well. She’s no longer hosting students, she said she had to slow down, but she was in great spirits, and had her trademark energy.

Stepanie Grow Adams 02F Granada & Former Host Mother Carmen Villanueva in 13J sm