Discovering Buenos Aires

Submitted by Alexandra DiDonato on the 2013 fall semester program in Buenos Aires, Argentina…

¡Buen día!

After a bumpy first day that involved a delayed flight and an overnight stay in a hotel (not to mention the eleven hour flight itself), we finally arrived in the magnificent South American city of Buenos Aires! It’s only been a week since we’ve arrived, but already I’ve fallen in love with this city. My home-stay mother María is an absolute joy and amazing cook. She’s already taught me so much about the language and culture in the short time I’ve been living with her. The first morning I was here, María taught me how to use the subte, or subway, which has quickly become my favorite means of transportation. I’ve never lived in an area with a subway station before, who knew they were so convenient! I got a little lost my first few times traveling alone around Belgrano, but after awhile you get used to the different streets and now traveling the area has become a breeze!

After quite a few awkward cultural mishaps my first few days, I am starting to get used to the way things roll around here. There are a lot of things I love about Buenos Aires (empanadas, anyone?) but I think my favorite thing so far is just the porteño way of life. Everything is much more relaxed and laid back here. Things aren’t as calculated or rushed, people kind of just go with the flow and enjoy themselves wherever they go. This is definitely something I can get used to!

Today the group went on a guided bus tour where we got to see and learn about many cool places around the city. Unfortunately we only got to stop in two areas, La Plaza de Mayo and La Boca, so I’ll be sure to go back and visit the other areas more extensively later! 

I loved the different colored buildings in La Boca!

Classes begin Monday at the University of Belgrano, so the next couple of days will undoubtedly be spent finalizing my schedule with my advisors and enjoying the last days of sightseeing before the school year begins! Wish us luck as we begin our fall semester in Buenos Aires!

¡Chau!