The Danes

Submitted by Katie Maimon on the 2013 spring semester DIS (Denmark’s International Study Program) program in Copenhagen, Denmark…

It has been about a week since I’ve arrived here in Copenhagen, and so far it’s been better than I imagined. The school that I attend here, DIS, or “the Danish Institute for Study Abroad”, has been really wonderful in preparing all 800 of us international students on what to expect when traveling Copenhagen: how to approach the locals,  how to best immerse ourselves into Danish culture, how to live on a budget, how to navigate the public transportation system, and overall, how to make the most of our time here in Copenhagen. I will be studying cross-cultural communication as my core course, and I can already tell that it has shaped my perspective on my own culture as I compare it to the local culture. Danes are implicitly trusting of one another, as far as I can tell. They will go into a cafe and leave their baby sleeping in the stroller outside in the fresh air for a few minutes without the slightest worry that the baby will not be there when they return; children ride the bus without adult supervision; walking alone at night, or any time of day, does not feel unsafe in the slightest because violence, overall, is not part of the culture; and people have been very willing to help when asked about directions, or even “which detergent is best to use for dark clothing”, by spending 5 minutes explaining her use of different Danish soaps and detergents. My experience so far of exploring the city in my free time, interacting with Danes, and even getting free dinner at a cafe during a “social” event for my Danish Language and Culture class been surreal. There is so much to see and learn about Copenhagen and I look forward to all that lies ahead.