French Food

Submitted by Michelle Norton on the 2013 winter session program in Paris and Switzerland sponsored by the School of Nursing…

Today, just a small group of 8 of us arranged a private market and food tour of Paris with two French women that do private tours. We went to the market and saw all the fresh fruits and vegetables. The vegetables were so ripe and fresh and untreated that you could smell them. I have never been able to smell carrots before!

Then we went to chocolate shops, cheese shops, macaron shops, bakeries, candy shops, and finally we went to the ladies’ apartment and they cooked us breads, cream of mushroom  soup, tuna spread on baguettes, and cookies. We also had a chance to  sample cheeses from all over France. Then we went to a famous tea shop. The tea is incredible. I got two boxes of tea to bring home, one is cinnamon apple with other fruits, and the other is kiwi and watermelon. Amazing! It was one of the best days of my life, for sure. The macaron I had was poppyseed and coconut milk flavored, the texture is like nothing I have ever eaten before. It melts in your mouth, but feels like cake- really creamy cake thats not overly sweet. This day will be hard to top!!