Parque de las Ciencias

Submitted by Jaclyn Roman on the 2012 spring semester program in Granada, Spain…

May 14th and it might as well be mid-August with the heat wave that has struck Spain. Weather has acted somewhat as an underlying theme amidst all of my blogs, as this particular year has brought with it an unusual climate – and it is no different at this moment in time. As if it came out of thin air, the rainy, damp conditions were instantly replaced by temperatures reaching almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I have to say for this reason, my energy level has been somewhat depleted as I face less than 2 weeks to my return back to the U.S.

The weekend did not go to waste, although my usual energetic self wasn’t exactly running on full battery. On Friday, I ventured to Salobreña which is a small beach town located within the region of Granada. I enjoyed relaxing on the beach without the preoccupation of ducking for cover from inclement weather, as I had to do so frequently last month.
There’s a museum in Granada called “Parque de las Ciencias,” which essentially translates to “Science Park”, that our group briefly visited back in January. I had the opportunity to return on Saturday with a friend, as the museum celebrated its 17th anniversary – free entry for us! I am fascinated with this particular museum because it demonstrates exactly what a typical science museum would in the States. More than just  scientific information

There’s a museum in Granada called “Parque de las Ciencias,” essentially translated to “Science Park”, that our group briefly visited back in January. I had the opportunity to return on Saturday with a friend, as the museum celebrated its 17th anniversary – free entry for us! I am fascinated with this particular museum because it demonstrates exactly what a typical science museum would in the States. I cherished the overall atmosphere even more than just enjoying the  scientific information and even a temporary Dinosaur exhibit. Students attending local elementary schools and even the University of Granada set up their own experiments in a science fair style setting to honor the anniversary. Watching the little ones cling to their Moms’ hands and happily participate in the different activities was truly heartwarming.

I cannot believe I am saying it already, but I find myself in the final week of classes  and await final exams in the coming week. Instead of dwelling on all that I’ll miss once I’m back in the States, I am taking note of every aspect of the culture I am so grateful to have embraced these past couple of months. In these last days I plan to live life to the fullest as a “Granadina” – and fit some study time in of course.