Semana Santa

Submitted by Jaclyn Roman on the 2012 spring semester program in Granada, Spain…

Good Friday “Soledad” procession representing the Virgin Mary

A powerful aroma of incense fills the air and the faint sound of a drum is audible. Immense crowds of people occupy the streets and children squeal at the sight of street vendors selling popcorn, peanuts and toy horns. This is Semana Santa (Holy Week) in Andalucía.

Yesterday, Easter Sunday, marked the final day for processions. Each day of Semana Santa starting on Palm Sunday, representations of the different Biblical passages leading up to Jesus’ resurrection demonstrate the true spirit of the Easter season. Unfortunately, this year brought unusually inclement weather, and the processions scheduled for Monday, Tuesday and Thursday were cancelled.

Lucky for me, the conditions held up fine once I returned from my trip to Italy, and I was still able to experience all of the processions on Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday. As a Catholic myself, I have fond memories of the Easter holiday. Since my Mom is Italian, food has always been at the heart of the celebration. Of course, stored even further back are the childhood memories of the Easter Bunny gifting me with Reese’s peanut butter cup eggs and jelly beans.

For me, I have to say this year definitely marks the most exhilarating Easter experience I have had. Seeing Spaniards and tourists of all nationalities gather to watch such spectacles is truly indescribable. There is a certain happiness and hope that fills the streets and it’s difficult, especially for someone like myself foreign to this custom, not to relish the atmosphere.

Although I have to say I did miss the Reese’s bunnies this year, I am eternally grateful to have been in Spain at such a special time of year as Semana Santa. Among everything else I have experienced up until this point, being here at this time has allowed me to form an even stronger bond with the Spanish culture.