Looking Forward to Semana Santa

Submitted by Jaclyn Roman on the 2012 spring semester program in Granada, Spain…

As I write this week’s blog, history is being made in Spain. Today, March 29, 2012 is the day of a National Huelga, or worker’s strike. For those who are unaware, Spain currently finds itself in a serious economic crisis with an astronomical unemployment rate of about 23%. As a foreign student studying here, the economic slump has little influence on my daily routine. Although the strike is very much intriguing to me, I’ve decided to play it safe and watch the news in the safety of my apartment.

Even if a somber environment has invaded Granada, it is in fact a temporary one with Semana Santa (Holy Week) right around the corner. Semana Santa is the week that falls in between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. Most  Spaniards  receive vacation time for the week (including foreign students such as myself), and it truly is a special time of year. Each day, processions are held to represent Biblical passages and the stages of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Being a Catholic myself,  I very much anticipate Semana Santa, but am told the processions can truly be enjoyed by everyone regardless of their religion.

Similar to most other students in our study abroad program, I have made travel plans for part of our vacation time. I am very excited to be headed to Italy (Rome, Naples and Capri), but am happy to say I’ll be back in Granada by Thursday night to experience one of the highest acclaimed processions – Silencio (Silence).

As we approach one of the most recognized times of the year in Spain, I can’t help but feel proud to be a part of it all. Tuesday night I headed to a local bar to watch Real Madrid defeat APOEL in the Quarter Finals of the Champions League (for some this may have no significance whatsoever, but “futbol”(soccer) is in fact a huge aspect of Spanish life). Pride has become an underlying sensation for me in Spain; whether it’s in regards to Semana Santa, soccer or sympathy toward all of the jobless Spaniards, I am most definitely proud and honored for this experience.