Exploring the English Countryside

Submitted by Sara Feldman on the 2012 spring semester program…

With only three weeks left in England, I figured it was time to visit some locations outside of London.  I wanted to get a true English countryside  experience. So, this weekend I took  a quick one hour train ride and four to five minute bus ride to Woodstock. Woodstock is a small town composed of old brick buildings, quaint shops, old fashioned pubs, and is the World Heritage site of Blenheim Palace. During my stay,  I chose to only eat traditional English food by having a full-English breakfast, afternoon tea, English roast, etc.  I stayed in a charming 14th century bed and breakfast with a warm English hospitality feel. Additionally, I walked up to Blenheim Palace and toured both the building and the grounds. I was able to see the site where Winston Churchill proposed to his wife and the gorgeous greenery of the English countryside on the palace grounds. Walking around the ground, I felt as if I traveled back in time, exploring the vast green fields sprinkled with sheep, the calm coasting river, and the singing of various birds. It was truly a unforgettable, relaxing weekend!