Spring in Granada

Submitted by Jaclyn Roman on the 2012 spring semester program in Granada, Spain…

Spring has sprung in Granada! The beginning of March has brought with it incredible weather. Over the past week temperatures have reached upwards of 66 degrees Fahrenheit! The sunshine has only added to my pleasant mood, and I truly enjoying passing through the city as the streets become more and more filled with people.

A tremendous fact of living where I do, is that in an hour’s time it’s possible to arrive at the beach or the slopes. This past weekend, I finally made it to the Sierra Nevada, the mountain range here in Granada. After renting skis here in the city, I found it very ironic to walk home to my apartment and pass palm trees. By bus, travel time was about 45 minutes – extremely quick and easy!

Never in my life had I skied in such conditions. To begin with, the elevation of the mountains is high enough so that there are no trees, and the altitude is actually above the clouds. To me, this truly made skiing an incredible experience. Also, as I previously mentioned, since the weather has been so agreeable, I couldn’t even say it was that cold on top of the mountain! In fact, my sensitive skin managed to burn somewhat in just a day’s time.

Granada truly is an amazing place, and I believe there is something for everyone to enjoy. I still try to push myself to experience all that I can in the short time I have left.

View from the top of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.