Midterm Concert

Submitted by Jaclyn Roman on the 2012 spring semester program in Granada, Spain….

Regrettably, I’ve been reminded more times than not that I am left with only two more months of my Granada adventure. A change in the group’s return flight in addition to already completing midterms have only highlighted that the end isn’t so far off. Having said that, my head is filled with thoughts and plans of what I want to accomplish in the little time that’s left.

As previously stated, the midterm period for me has officially ended. My friends and family would vouch for me when I say that my “over-achiever” quality can get a bit carried away during exam time. I have to be honest and say that although I spent most of my time studying the past week, I wasn’t anywhere near as preoccupied as usual. In fact, although some of my classes lack the same structure I’m accustomed to, the fact that my Spanish professors put less emphasis on exams and more on the actual learning process is quite refreshing.

Of course, the most challenging part of midterm week was simply disciplining myself to sit down and study – such a habitual concept at UD, that, in reality is so foreign to me in Spain.

On a lighter note, last weekend I did give myself a break to attend a Flamenco concert in the Sacromonte neighborhood of Granada. What an experience it truly was. Not only did the musicians perform an incredible assortment of music, but they did so with an emotion and passion that I’d never before witnessed at a concert. The stage had a glass window that overlooked the Alhambra at night, which truly gave me the chills.

All in all, I’m finding myself beginning to lay roots down in Granada. Temporary ones of course,  as I depart in just two months. My host Mom, new friends, and the students I help, all are forming such an important part of my life here. I really do feel like I belong, which for me is more than any blessing I’d ever hoped for on this study abroad journey. 

Camino del Sacromonte, the location of the Flamenco concert I attended.