|Section:||Human Resources Policies|
|Policy Name:||Outside Employment|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Human Resources|
|Legacy Policy Number:||4-84|
- SCOPE OF POLICYThis policy addresses employment outside of the University and applies to all exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Outside service(s): services performed for hire for any person or entity other than the University.
- POLICY STATEMENTThe first duty and responsibility of University employees is to render to the University the most effective service possible. No outside service should be undertaken that might interfere with the discharge of this prime responsibility or bring the employee into conflict with the interests of the University.
The University will assume no responsibility for outside services rendered by eligible employees, and it must be made clear to any person with whom the University employee works that the work has no official connection with the University.
- POLICY STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES
Approval for outside services occurring during working hours must be obtained from the eligible employee’s department head, director or administrator concerned who has the discretion to deny the request, according to the needs of the department. The employee must use vacation time in order to conduct outside services.
- Use of University Facilities or Equipment.
University facilities or equipment may be used for outside services only after written approval has been obtained from the appropriate department head, director or administrator concerned and the person responsible for operating the facility or equipment. The eligible employee must pay a rate established by the University for the use of the facility or equipment.