Financial and Business

Off-Campus Use of University Property by University Personnel

Section: Financial & Business Policies
Policy Name: Off-Campus Use of University Property by University Personnel
Policy Owner: Executive Vice President
Responsible University Office: Office of the Vice President For Finance and Deputy Treasurer
Origination Date: April 30, 1984
Revisions: June 5, 1989; April, 2000; July 1, 2005
Legacy Policy Number: 2-09
  1. PURPOSETo safeguard University property from loss or damage.
    1. Approval

      For University property costing less than $5,000 or property costing over $5,000 to be used off-campus for less than 90 days, the employee must obtain the approval of the Director, Budget Administrator, or Chairperson of the Department to take University equipment off-campus. In addition a copy of the approval must be sent to the Director of Procurement Services.

      To take property off the campus that has a value greater than $5,000 for a period greater than 90 days, written authority must be obtained from the Director of Procurement Services in advance. Requests must be submitted in writing by or through the Director, Budget Administrator, or Chairperson. The request must specify the University tag number, description, where the item will be located and when it should be returned. The Director of Procurement Services will notify Asset Management of any approvals, and the user will notify him when property is returned, so that the asset files may be appropriately adjusted.

    2. Insurance Coverage

      Occasionally, relatively expensive equipment is taken off-campus for use on a project supported by special funds which will accept insurance costs but not the costs of repair or replacement. In rare cases, regular use of expensive equipment off campus in high-risk situations may justify the carrying of property insurance paid from current funds. Insurance coverage in both of these instances should be arranged through the Director of Risk Management, who must approve all payments for liability and property insurance purposes.

    3. In cases where the loan of University property to other institutions, nonprofit organizations, or state agencies has been approved, as covered in Policy 5-6, a receipt must be obtained which includes the requirement that the borrower shall be responsible for returning the equipment in good condition by the time specified, or to indemnify the University for its loss or damage in an amount not exceeding the replacement value of the equipment, as the University may determine in its sole judgment. A copy of this receipt must be sent to the Property Records Department.