Leave of Absence Without Pay
|Section:||Human Resources Policies|
|Policy Name:||Leave of Absence Without Pay|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Human Resources|
|Revisions:||March 2016; November 2017|
|Legacy Policy Number:||4-51|
- SCOPE OF POLICYEligible employees may request a leave of absence without pay to protect employment and certain benefits, subject to University approval and this Policy. For all other leave concerns, please contact an HR Liaison or designee.
- Leave of absence without pay: a period of approved, unpaid leave.
- Eligible Employee: All employees of the University are eligible to request unpaid leaves of absence.
- POLICY STATEMENTApproval must be obtained before an employee may take a leave of absence without pay. Employees are expected to utilize their earned vacation before requesting leaves of absence without pay. The following conditions will apply to requests for unpaid leaves of absence:
- Leaves of absence without pay of fifteen (15) working days or less are reviewed and may be granted by the employee’s supervisor.
- The HR/Employee Relations Director must approve leaves of absence without pay of more than 15 days.
- Only in extenuating circumstances can a leave of absence without pay exceed three months.
- POLICY STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES
- Employees granted a leave of absence without pay may be permitted to continue health care, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability benefits at their own expense (full premium cost) for the duration of the leave period. Retirement/State Pension plan contributions are not made while employees are on a leave of absence without pay. For additional information regarding the continuation of benefits during a leave of absence, please contact the Human Resources Benefits department at 302-831-2171 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Employees may reinstate discontinued benefits as early as the first of the month following their return to work provided that they apply to the Benefits Office within thirty days of their return.
- The following procedures shall apply to requests for unpaid leaves of absence:
- Requests leave of absence, in writing, from supervisor.
- Consults with the Benefits Office concerning continuation of insurances.
- Makes premium payments to the Benefits Office and, if appropriate, to the insurance carrier if a conversion of life insurance occurs.
- If leave is 15 days or less, approves or disapproves leave request. Process Job Employee Data form (JED), if leave is approved.
- If leave is more than 15 working days, forward leave request to HR/Employee Relations Director and the HR Liaison processes Job Employee Data form (JED) if leave is approved.
- Unpaid leaves of absence shall run concurrently with FMLA leave and/or parental leave, if applicable.