Infectious Waste Management
|Section:||Campus Safety and Security Policies|
|Policy Name:||Infectious Waste Management|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Environmental Health and Safety|
|Origination Date:||June 1, 1990|
|Legacy Policy Number:||7-38|
- PURPOSETo ensure the management of infectious waste* at the University is conducted in compliance with Section 11 of the State of Delaware Regulations Governing Solid Waste, 7 Delaware Code, Chapter 60.
- Any disposal, handling, labeling, packaging, storage, tracking, transporting and/or treatment of infectious waste shall be conducted in accordance with procedures developed by the Department of Environmental Health and Safety.
- The Department of Environmental Health and Safety will coordinate the disposal of all infectious waste. Academic units will not be charged for disposal costs; however, self-supporting units will be billed for disposal costs.
- Departments must obtain prior approval from the Department of Environmental Health and Safety for contracting a vendor for the management of infectious waste.
- Departments shall be responsible for the identification of an infectious waste stream and for reporting it to the Department of Environmental Health and Safety.
- Departments shall designate an individual(s) who will be responsible for the management of the department’s infectious waste activities.
- The Department of Environmental Health and Safety shall audit the activities of all departments managing infectious waste for compliance with State regulations and University requirements on a periodic basis.
- The Department of Environmental Health and Safety shall maintain all documentation required by the State of Delaware regulations. Departments shall forward required documentation to the Department of Environmental Health and Safety.
- Departments shall minimize the generation of infectious waste where possible. Minimization can be accomplished by treatment or reducing output.
For copies of the Infectious Waste Management Procedures contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (ext. 8475). * As defined in Section 11 of the Delaware Regulations Governing Solid Waste and the University of Delaware Infectious Waste Management Procedures.