Participant Feedback

A quote about the value of a custom DLEO for a department cohort:

As we have transitioned some 50 different ELI courses to a completely online format, we have worked closely with our colleagues at Academic Technologies. Specifically, they have developed a four-week, instructor-facilitated, ELI-specific training session for the entire ELI faculty group. We have run this course for over 30 members of our instructional team with great success. ATS has patiently worked with us throughout the summer to help prepare our faculty to teach effectively in an online or hybrid format. The ATS designers are knowledgeable experts, generous colleagues, and highly skilled facilitators. We’re delighted with the results of our collaboration.
–Nigel Caplan, English Language Institute, summer 2020

A reflective quote offered years after taking DLEO:

Things are going pretty well considering [the coronavirus situation in spring 2020]… All of the DLEO experience and follow-up from Faculty Commons has paid back in spades… This has been the craziest last few weeks, but at the same time, I was able to build something fast and good.
–Rusty Lee, Civil & Environmental Engineering, spring 2020

Two video testimonials are available below on this web page.

Evaluation question:
How has this experience changed your current teaching and learning practice…
I’m much more thoughtful about how I present information to my students. For my in-person class, I organized assignments and readings into modules by week and also got clearer with my labeling on the Assignments page.
It’s helped with assignment designs as well as how I can use rubrics to emphasize the most important parts of each assignment. I’ve learned how to make them easier to explain to my students.
Before my class was really a mess. It was difficult to follow and now my course is set up with the “user” in mind. I was using Pages when I should have been using titles and there wasn’t good closure to each of my weeks. Now, I am much more organized and students know what they are learning each week with the help of these tools.
It definitely helped me to improve my Canvas site. I developed some hybrid modules myself.
I really enjoyed the idea of making an orientation module for my course, which honestly I would not have done otherwise, but thanks to the DLEO course, I gave myself the space and time to create one. I am proud of it and excited to welcome my students this way.

Evaluation question:
If a colleague asked you to estimate how much time was needed to actively…
I think the time it takes really depends how much or how little you want to get involved. You could do it in an hour per week or eight hours per week.
It depended on the assignment. Readings and responses didn’t take too much time at all, but creating modules and refining assignments took double or triple (or more) the amount of time that the previously mentioned work did. It helped that there was plenty of time given to complete the more intricate, labor-intensive work.
Discussions – 15 – 30 mi.n Assignments with plans – 1 – 2 hours. Assignments with partners 1 hour prep – 1 hour discussion.
I probably spent 2-3 hours a week.
I was not able to participate fully in all F2F components of the course. I would estimate that I spent 30 hours on what I did participate in, but nearly all of that time was immediately transferable to my online course.

Jill Flynn, English, DLEO video testimonial (0:32)

Kevin Burke, Emily Carson, English, DLEO video testimonial (1:47)