Kuumba Academy Charter School (KACS) is a tuition-free public charter school in partnership with our founding organization, Christina Cultural Arts Center Inc. (CCAC). Through the innovative union of academics, arts, technology, and family engagement, each individual’s learning style is nurtured resulting in creative learners who are positive agents of change in the community. KACS is open to all students Kindergarten through 8th grade.
Responsibilities of the After-school Tutor include but are not limited to:
Academic Achievement and Character Development
● Ensure that the school climate is characterized by safety, kindness, joy in learning and
promotes and reinforces positive self-identity using Kuumba’s principles of Nguzo Saba.
● Working with small groups of students, instruct and assess student learning, and test
● Grade/score student work and determine next steps for instruction.
● Motivate students to achieve high academic and behavioral standards during sessions.
● Take accurate attendance during each session.
● Hold all students accountable during lunch, breakfast, transitions, trips, and school
● Supervise arrival and dismissal from sessions.
Professional Growth and Development
● Demonstrate teamwork, cooperation, and open communication with all staff of Kuumba
Academy, toward the achievement of school goals and objectives.
● Collaborate with Deans, teachers and school team to continuously improve instructional,
culture-building and leadership skills.
● Participate enthusiastically in all professional development, team planning, and data
● Function as a school wide partner in helping to raise student achievement and character
for all students in the school reinforcing school-wide expectations.
● Perform other duties and administrative functions as assigned by the Principal.
Qualities Skills and Characteristics
This position requires a creative and inspiring educator with adult leadership experience, high
energy, excellent organizational abilities and a talent for creating a warm and supportive
environment for children and their parents. Applicants must demonstrate:
● Strong belief in the Kuumba mission and educational model.
● Interest in providing only the highest quality educational, social and emotional
experiences for students and their families.
● Proven ability to influence and enhance cooperative working relationships within a team
● Exemplary interpersonal skills
● Excellent communication skills with diverse constituents (teachers, parents, children).
● Team player: maturity, humility, grit, flexible, follow-through, sense of humor, open to
feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
$40 per hour and Kuumba will train
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org attention Ayanna Johnson, Principal.