Natural Wonders in Australia

Submitted by Nicole Coryell on the 2018 winter session program in Australia sponsored by the College of Health Sciences…

My first week in Melbourne consisted of feelings of excitement and lots of brainstorming of what to do with roughly three weeks in this city.  Some girls on this program decided on things like a tour in the Yarra Valley, dinner at a nice restaurant on the river, lots of beach trips and the Great Ocean Road tour.  Lots of us were told the Great Ocean Road was a “must-see in Australia;” I feel embarrassed for admitting this, but I had no idea what it was until I even came here (it’s one of the top ten drives in the world if anyone reading this was curious, too).  Seeing the 12 Apostles in person and Loch Ard Gorge is a sight more beautiful than I could have imagined and something I will remember for the rest of my life.  Seeing natural wonders like this remind me how important it is to be conscious about how I am treating the Earth and the places we live.  I have noticed that Australia is a very self-aware and globally-aware country.  Reminders to recycle are everywhere, including gum wrappers, as are bins to throw away “rubbish,” as they say, or recycle.  Also, signs in the bathrooms at University College have reminders to take quick showers to conserve water and the toilets have options for a half flush or full flush to also save water. Seeing the Great Ocean Road is going to be hard to beat, but I am even more excited for what the rest of this program will hold!