Washington, D.C.: Meeting Senators

Submitted by Tonisha Hurd on the 2017 spring semester program in Washington, D.C. …

This week I met Senators Bernie Sanders and Corey Booker. What was interesting was that I saw them outside of the workplace and my interactions with both were completely different. When interacting with Bernie, he seemed tired and like he did not care about who we were. Although I am just a college intern, his demeanor made me feel like I was nobody and that I had no right to be excited to see him. On the other hand, Senator Booker was extremely polite. He walked up and down the food store aisles with a smile on his face. Then, when I finally mustered up some courage to ask for a picture, he was delighted! On this program, I have learned that everything is not what it seems. On television, Senator Sanders seemed to be one to truly care about the people, but in real life I saw otherwise. I am still happy to have had the experience and I now know that everyone plays different roles as to how they communicate with others.