Meeting Famous People in Washington, D.C.

Submitted by Rony Baltazar-Lopez on the 2017 spring semester program in Washington, D.C. …

This week has been another exciting week here in Washington, D.C. The environment here in D.C. is that of people who are always busy yet thrilled to be so close to our government. On Tuesday after work, I visited the nearest supermarket to get some supplies and to my surprise, Senator Bernie Sanders was shopping there, too. I was very fortunate to have been able to get my photo taken with him despite him not being at work, and so it reminded me that people in government are people, too. On Wednesday, I gave my first Capitol Tour—since one of my requirements as an intern is to give tours—and that was my most stressful job yet since I am not as familiar with the Capitol as other people are. On Friday, Dr. Freel took us to NPR headquarters and showed us around—and we even got to talk to Dominic Montanaro who is the lead director of the NPR politics show. I am very excited for the third week here in our nation’s capital.